Wanted: An Executive Manager
We are looking for someone who can help run our business functions smoothly. You could be an MBA graduate, an accounts graduate or someone who’s helped other businesses (or organisations) with operations or administration. If you’re passionate about getting things done and wish to gain an all-round understanding of how businesses run, we’d love to have you grow alongside us.
Miranj is a strategic web design and development studio based out of New Delhi. We architect information and design radically simple, future-proof websites. We started out in 2011, and have worked on websites for a variety of clients across domains such as film, conferences, internet advocacy, science & policy outreach, publishing, public interest campaigns, and other design studios. We’ve been speaking, curating and participating in various web conferences around the world. We’ve consciously remained small (between 2 – 4 people), while tackling projects collaboratively with peers and freelancers.
In the last few years all business functions and activities have been single-handedly tackled by one of our co-founders. We’ve reached a point where we need additional hands-on-deck to manage these activities.
You’ll be working on a one-to-one basis with Souvik (our co-founder) and interact with several other stakeholders. In the process, you’ll touch upon various aspects of running a business operation across four broad categories:
- Coordination and Communication: You’ll oversee flow of information with external stakeholders (clients, vendors, collaborators, etc.) incl. handling some of the team communications, organising meetings, managing calendars, etc. You’ll also help produce reports, presentations and documentations.
- Business and Accounts: You’ll be interfacing with our Chartered Accountant (CA) and lawyer to ensure financial & legal governance. This includes overseeing accounting, bookkeeping, expense management, invoicing (incl. driving collections to timely closure), banking and contracting.
- Operations and HR: You’ll managing administrative / operational tasks such as travel, purchases & payments, scouting vendors, office management (post COVID-19), etc. You’ll also assist us with hiring & on-boarding new members, planning and hosting team events (chill sessions, parties, etc.) and find ways to improve team performance, and exploring new digital tools to improve efficiency of our processes.
- Sales and External Initiatives: You’ll help process new project enquiries which include understanding project briefs, determining alignment with our strengths & interests, and assisting with project pitches and proposals. You’ll also take charge of new initiatives & organising external events (such as World IA Day) or executing other marketing activities.
Your work will involve a healthy rotation of all the above. It is not expected that you will stand out at everything on the first day of your job. On the contrary, we’ll give you ample time to learn on the job.
- 1 – 3 years of relevant work experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to interface comfortably with a variety of people through the day
- Comfortable with computers and online tools for communications (email, Slack, WhatsApp, Google Meet, Zoom, etc.) and office suite (Google Drive, Google Sheets, Google Docs, etc.)
- Ability to maintain a high level of discretion and confidentiality
- Well developed organisational and time management skills
- Ability to multitask and prioritise work
- Ability to anticipate next steps and take proactive actions/make judgment calls
- Ability to identify problems in business functions and suggest solutions
Although not a necessity, it’ll be great if you also bring in the following experience—
- Hold a diploma/degree in any business-oriented discipline (accounts, economics, commerce, business administration, etc.)
- Have worked at a small company or studio
- Have interfaced with external stakeholders and clients
- Have worked in a remote setting (co-ordinating over emails, chats, video-calls, etc.)
- Have worked in business development or project management roles
- Have used the following tools: Basecamp, Asana, Slack and Dropbox Paper
- Have a basic knowledge of finance and accounting principles
- Have a working knowledge of Hindi
We believe the following traits will play nicely—
- You are eager to take charge and get stuff done
- You are quick at learning new tools and processes
- You are dedicated, process-oriented and have an attention to detail
- You are highly disciplined, self-motivated and energetic
- You value your commitments at work
- You are open-minded about undertaking a wide variety of operational tasks
- You like sharing ideas on how to make work more fun, meaningful and fulfilling
- You appreciate coffee and love mountains
What’s on offer?
- Opportunity to learn several business functions in a lean, young organisation.
- Monthly team outings which we’re told are fun.
- Medical insurance.
- A culture that values reason and debate over authority; autonomy over control; slow and considered decision-making over fast and hasty; and a healthy work-life balance.
- A healthy compensation, proportionate to the operational smoothness you help us achieve.
Note: In light of the current COVID-19 situation you should have a productive work setup at home. However, please note that this is not a fully remote/desk job. Your will be required to do occasional commutes within New Delhi to visit/co-ordinate between different stakeholders e.g. accountant, bank, vendors, etc.
How to apply?
Just fill out this form. It will ask you for your primary online / social profile, your CV and a few questions—
- What makes you interested in this job?
- Can you highlight some relevant past job experiences or experiences from college/extra-curricular where you’ve demonstrated organisational qualities?
- What value do you bring in to this job and our organisation?
- What are your hobbies and what do you find interesting outside work?
We shall not discriminate on the basis of caste, race, religion, orientation, gender, physical ability, age, nationality or any such factors. If you belong to any under-represented community we encourage you to send in your application.
Lastly, we’re a small team with limited bandwidth. It may not be feasible for us to respond to each application. If your application is selected for the next round of evaluation we will respond to you within 2 weeks. In case you don’t hear back from us in that timeframe, please consider your application rejected.
If you’d know a suitable candidate for this opening, kindly refer them to us. If the endorsed candidate is successfully hired we’d be happy to share a referral fee of ₹10,000/- for your gesture.