We are looking for a mid-to-senior level web developer (with around 5 – 7 years of experience) to help us continue making great websites. This is a remote position. You may be located anywhere in India or the rest of the world (with at least a 4‑hour time overlap with the Indian timezone).
Miranj is a strategic web design and development studio. We’ve been in business for over 10 years and have consciously remained a small specialised team with a clear purpose. We are laser-focused on the web — no mobile/native apps, no product design, no digital UI/UX, no trying to imitate a “full-service agency”. We’ve been creating inclusive, accessible, ceaseless, clear, performant, future-friendly websites and with each passing year, we want to keep getting better at our craft.
We work directly with clients (no outsourced assignments or communicating via intermediaries) and offer them a turnkey web solution — strategy, design, development, support, and hosting. We’ve worked in domains such as media & publishing, manufacturing, conferences, recruitment, and even for other design studios. However, what sets us apart is our priority towards projects that are meaningful and serving society. Nearly two-thirds of our work is in the education (e.g. universities, science outreach, etc.) and non-profit (policy & advocacy, health, public interest campaigns, philanthropy, etc.) space.
We’re incorporated in New Delhi but in practice, we’re a fully remote organisation. Our team members are distributed between India and Cambodia. And we occasionally share our learnings with the web community at conferences around the world.
As a mid/senior web developer, you should be comfortable with —
- Taking ownership of project repositories and ensuring stability over release cycles.
- Ensuring low technical debt by catching and refactoring breaches.
- Creating robust & modular templating architectures.
- Automating processes by leveraging build tools and pipelines.
- Handling, manipulating and migrating data sets between environments.
- Leveraging shell scripts & command-line tools.
- Deploying projects on servers.
- Working with designers & managing developer hand-offs.
We believe the following traits will play nicely —
- You favour a long term relationship over a short stint
- You are eager to take charge and get stuff done
- You are open to learning and can pick up new technologies by reading documentation & tutorials
- You value your commitments
- You are good at communication, including writing
- You appreciate clean, readable code and honour coding style/standards
- You like sharing ideas on how to make work more fun, meaningful and fulfilling
- You believe that an organisation should be run sustainably and with financial prudence
Your work at Miranj will involve —
- Leading web projects and owning client relationships.
- Understanding key project requirements and architecting robust technical solutions.
- Translating designs into CMS templates, building custom features and plugins that extend CMS functionality.
- Performance optimisation through caching, image optimisation and other strategies.
- Maintaining, supporting, refactoring and upgrading past projects (typically, LAMP stack).
- Collaborating closely with external partners in a project team.
- Opportunity to work with modern systems and software, with continuous learning
- Projects that are meaningful and socially-conscious
- Monthly team hangout, which we’re told are fun
- Medical insurance (if you’re based in India)
- A sustainable pace of work (5‑day work week and up to 40 days of paid time off each year)
- A Mac for work use
- Support for speaking at conferences
- A culture that values reason and debate over authority; autonomy over control; slow and considered decision-making over fast and hasty; and a healthy work-life balance
- A healthy compensation, proportionate to the value you can bring to us
Fill out this form to point us to 3 – 4 projects that you’re proud of. For each one, mention the project duration, your role, and your contribution. In addition, please share your online presence (such as Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website/Blog). And oh, do mention your hobbies. We’re curious about what you find interesting outside work.
We do not discriminate based on caste, race, religion, orientation, gender, physical ability, formal education, age, nationality or any such factors. If you belong to any under-represented community we strongly encourage you to send in your application.
If you know a suitable candidate for this opening, kindly refer them to us. If the endorsed candidate is a successful hire (retained post-3-month probationary period), we’ll be happy to share a referral fee of ₹50,000/- for your gesture.